Monday, May 5, 2008

The Shower

During the day, I can busy myself and pretend, even through the discomfort, that I'm OK. It's the dreaded shower that slams me back into reality.

The nurses warned that I needed to have someone there when I showered for the first time after the surgery. And they weren't kidding. It was the closest I have ever come to fainting.

Nervous even before I got undressed, I was shaking by the time Scott, my wonderful husband, helped me off with this huge thing they call a bra. The combination of seeing the drain tubes beneath my skin and the huge surgical scar where they used to be a breast was devastating. Scott sat with me while I shook, sweat, and tried not to faint. I think I cried through most of the shower while Scott washed my body and hair.

The subsequent showers have been slightly better. I still cry, but I keep my eyes far away from the mirror and I don't look down.

Always the strong one, Scott reminds me that this is only the first stage and that after all of this is over, I'll have brand new breasts. It seems like a long way away.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Sue,
I am so very proud of you words just cannot say. I know you have a long road ahead of you and I pray for Gods strength to be with you. You know you have the love and support of your family. Keep you head held high because you have more strength than any of us. I love you girl.
Aunt Pat

Pat said...

Sue,
I am so proud of you, words just can't explain! I know you have a long road ahead, but you are very strong and God is right there with you to lean on. Keep your head held high because you are a very special person.
Lots of love,
Aunt Pat

june said...

Keep the faith, my friend. You have already come a long way.