Thursday, May 8, 2008

This and That

The past two days have been quite busy!

BTW, I can know shower and wash my hair myself--and I'm actually OK.

After seeing Dr. Coplin on Tuesday, we went into the meeting with Dr. Beat quite confident that I wouldn't need radiation. Imagine our surprise when he recommended that I have radiation.

Our immediate thinking is that it's overkill. They've taken all of my left breast tissue and I'll do chemo for five months which should kill anything left so I'm not sure what they are trying to radiate. It's not a decision we need to make today or even by next week. After talking to Dr. Coplin again today, she says we can talk more about it and even get a second opinion, but she values Dr. Beat's opinion and thinks I should do it. We'll see. I'd love your opinion.

My mom and I picked up Alexis after school and met my sister at the wig shop. It was great fun trying on the wigs--and yes, I forgot my camera. If I can figure out how to get the pics off of my camera phone, I'll post them. I now know why I don't have dark hair. After trying on a red wig Alexis told me I looked like Velma from Scooby-Doo.

I found two that we all liked. They are holding them for me until I lose my hair. I'll pick one from there and they'll fit it for me. Insurance pays for the wig too (Anthem Blue Cross rocks!). If anyone you know is looking for a wig in the St. Charles area, send them to A+ Wigs (sorry they don't have a website).

This morning my mom and I went to Ann's Bra Shop. After surgery, the hospital gave me this big puff to put in my bra. It ended up making the left bigger than my real one on the right and it wouldn't stay put. I now have a real prosthetic that feels and looks much better! And again, insurance paid for that and two bras. Plus I'll get two new bras paid for every year forever!

I also visited the dentist today as I read you aren't supposed to get your teeth cleaned while doing chemo. Thanks to Dr. Wilmes for fitting me in at the last minute!

I'm sticking my toes back into work too. Michelle gave me a small project and I spent time today updating my other blog, Accountants Round Up. It feels good to have something productive to do.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Sue,
Why are they saying you still need radiation if they got everything and you are taking chemo? I would think about it very seriously. Which I know you have. What will the radiation kill that the chemo won't take care of?
Just please don't go to the same one that Grandpa went to. They fried his lungs.
But in the end its your decision on what they do to your body. And you will know how much more you can go thru.
Love you girl!! Just keep being strong. You are in my prayers daily!
Aunt Pat