Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Drain Free!

My first visit today was with Dr. Coplin, one of the oncologists at the St. Louis Breast Cancer Institute. I'll be starting chemo on May 14 with four cycles of a chemo treatment called AC. AC is made up of two chemo drugs--Adriamycin and cyclophosphamide. They prevent any possible remaining cancer cells from dividing and growing and can eventually cause the cancer cells to shrink and die.

The four cycles will run every other week for 2-2 1/2 hours each. On day 16 after I start chemo, I will lose my hair. And as much as I was dreading this part, I'm really OK with it now. At least I think I am. We'll probably go look at wigs this week.

Once the AC is over, I'll start weekly treatments of Paclitaxel. The whole course of treatment will take approximately five months.

After Dr. Coplin, we met with Dr. Radford. She checked my incisions and took out my drains. Such a relief not having those bags stuck on me.

I came home, put on a regular bra and added my fake pad to the left. Funny, now the left side looks better than the right!

Tomorrow, we meet with Dr. Beat the radiation oncologist. Dr. Coplin doesn't believe that I need radiation, but Dr. Radford does. We'll see tomorrow what Dr. Beat says.

Friday I'm doing a CAT scan and bone scan to make triple sure there's not any cancer elsewhere.

1 comment:

M Golden said...

Sue, you crack me up. Your last post was SO hard to read (I'm now in love with Scott...what an amazing guy you have) and this one has me laughing (left one looks better...). I'm so in awe of your grace through all this.
-Michelle