Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Visit to Surgeon and First Chemo

This blog has turned out to be very therapeutic for me…I love the thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement--they strengthen my resolve!

Wednesday was my last visit to Dr. Radford (surgeon). She took some of the tape off and checked my incisions. They all look good (or at least as good as they can for what they are). My range of motion in my left arm is much better that it was last week, but definitely not what it was before surgery. I'm going to see a physical therapist next Wednesday to get a little help. Working out as often as I do makes me wonder about those people who don't and what their range of motion is like.

Next we visited with Dr. Coplin (medical oncologist). Good news is that my bone scan and CT scan were clean. I do have a cyst on my left ovary, but because my genetic test was also negative, they aren't very concerned. Now I just need to see my OBGYN. I am really going to be sick of doctors!

Then it was time for my first chemo. Because they can only take blood from my right arm now, it took a while to find a good vein. Unfortunately, the left was my better arm for needles! We started with a bag of saline, then added a small bag of nausea medicine and steroids. The 'C' (Cyclophosphamide) part of the AC was first. It was also done through a drip and took about an hour to administer. 'A' (Adriamycin) was next. It was bright red and added to my IV very slowly via hypo. In the event your curiousity is killing you and you just have to know all about the various chemo drugs, you can find all of the information here.

I felt pretty good when we finally left. Scott took me to lunch and then home so I could do some work. I picked up some new computers for work and then took Bella to get her dance pictures taken. It was then that I started to feel bad. I didn't expect it to hit me that bad and that fast. By the time I got home, I felt very sick to my stomach.

I didn't throw up, but I felt like I could. By the morning, I was a little better--feeling more like I was in the early months of pregnancy. I kept up with my meds today and ate small frequent meals and that seemed to help. I still don't feel like myself, but much better than last night. Plus I am keep my meds with me at all times so I don't feel so bad again.

Today I had to go back and get a shot of Newlasta to up my white blood cells. Side effects could be bone pain, but so far, I feel OK.

I have three more cycles of 'AC' and then start the Taxol, which is not supposed to make me sick. But now I know what to expect and how to handle it the best I can. I know I can get through it.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Sue,
I just enjoy reading your blogs. I am learning so much, and I love the way you remember everything and what it does. I even read it to the girls at work and they think its wonderful that you go into so much explaination. They are keeping you in their prayers also. Hang in there,they say it will get worse before it gets better. Love you so much,
Aunt Pat

M Golden said...

Sue, when people ask how you are doing, I my thought is that you are actually making this almost look "easy" -- at least much easier than I ever imagined it could be. You have so much grace in this. I know it can't possibly be easy at all and I hope you listen when your body tell you that you need to use your energy to heal rather than run errands, do work, or cart the kids. Please don't hesitate to say "no" to some of this stuff and point your energy inward. K?
mg

Vicki Kriete said...

Hi Sue, just want to say hello and tell you that I am watching your progress via this blog. Great idea, isn't it? One of my chemo nurse friends at work always says that if chemo makes you feel bad it just means it is doing its job. Yours must be working just fine. I think about you, Scott and the girls often. Stay positive and you'll be better before you know it.