Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Great Day for a Run?


For a run? I never thought I'd say that!

But earlier this spring, I set my mind to it. The Race for the Cure was June 12 and I was going to participate in the 5K.

I started getting up at 5:30 every morning to run. It took a while, but it's now become a habit that I don't want to stop. I know, scary!

The morning of the race was the typical hot and humid St. Louis summer day. Lexi and I, along with 1,090 teams, 4,500 surviviors, and a total of 71,802 participants raced to end breast cancer.

Lexi, a much faster runner than I, stuck by my side most of the time as we tackled the 3.1 miles. It was hard not to stay pumped as people cheered us on from the sidelines. There were bands on every corner, fire trucks spraying their cool water, and even a bubble machine at the half-way mark.

As we reached the finish line, I could see Scott, my mom, Bella, and Abby cheering me on. It made me proud to be just a small part of the $3.4 million raised to end breast cancer forever!

No comments: