Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fill 'Er Up

When Dr. Nathan put in the expander, he filled it up about 40%. I went in yesterday and got my first "fill."

I was a little nervous going in, especially after seeing Annie walk in with two huge vials of saline. Dr. Nathan immediately put me at ease and reminded me that we could do this reconstruction as fast or as slow as I wanted. I'm opting for the faster route, but not too fast!

At the top of the expander, there is a port. Different from my "chemo" port as it doesn't stick out. You find it be placing a small tool with a magnet on my breast and marking it. I didn't want to see the size of the needle and opted not to watch.

To my complete amazement, it didn't hurt at all. He finished with one vial and asked if I wanted to go ahead and put in the other, noting that it would be tight and be very uncomfortable later that night. I felt brave and let him add the other vial.

To quote my new friend, Stacy, "it is like filling a water balloon and you know when you know it is full but you think just a little more...and you are hoping it doesn't break? Yea..thats me right now."

I only took a few Aleve yesterday afternoon because I had to drive home from work, but once home, I dug into the pain meds. It doesn't so much hurt, it's just very uncomfortable and I had a hard time sleeping.

Two or three more and I should be filled to the brim. Then a six-week wait until surgery. I planning for sometime in early January. Hope it works out!

No comments: